Summarizing what I've covered so far in this section of the tutorial, exporting graphics for use on the Web is a two-step process, optimizing and then exporting, or in some cases, simply saving the file. Optimizing graphics ensures that they possess the right mix of color, compression and image quality. After you finalize a graphic's optimization settings, the graphic is now ready for export. Earlier I demonstrated the use of the Export Wizard and the Image Preview in Fireworks CS3, but if you're comfortable optimizing and exporting graphics, Fireworks has an optimization and export tool in the workspace that gives you greater control over how files are exported. That would be the Optimize and Align panel. This panel contains the key controls for optimizing your images. Notice also for 8-bit images it contains a color table that displays the colors in the current export color palette. Notice that the colors will change depending on the image that I've selected here. Let me now review some of the more important settings here in the Optimize and Align panel. Let me start with this sample image of a flower. We have two drop downs here at the top. One is for choosing optimized file types, GIF, JPG, or Animated GIF. The second drop-down is for choosing any kind of file format, including GIF; Animated GIF, JPG; three varieties of PNG: 8-, 24-, and 32-bit; Windows BMP, three TIFs, 8-, 24-, and 32-bit; and then two bitmap file formats, 8- and 24-bit. Notice that for each of my selections I have different settings. For the BMP files I only have a mat color, but for TIF I've also got a color setting, a dither setting; dithering will blur the image to make it seem like it has more colors than 128, as well as, here, a palette: Adaptive, Web Adaptive, Web 216, Exact, Macintosh, Windows, Grayscale, Black and White, Uniform, and Custom. I'll talk more about palettes in a moment. For your PNG files, you have the most settings. You have a Mat setting, Number of Colors, a Dithering, as well as an Alpha Transparency, or an Index Transparency setting. This transparency setting will enable you to take one color and make it transparent, and then you have some tools down here for selecting which color will become transparent, as well as de-selecting the color using these eyedroppers. You also have transparency settings for the GIF file format. Again, Index, Alpha, or No Transparency with the selection tools here for choosing which color will become transparent. The JPG setting gives you a quality slider, which will allow you to indicate how much compression you want to apply to that image. Obviously the more compression the lower the quality setting, also the lower the file size. You also have a smoothing option for smoothing. When JPG images they get kind of blocky so you can counteract that by increasing the smoothing as you decrease the quality, or increase the compression. You can adjust that to remove that blockiness. You've also got a mat setting. Up here are your optimize files: GIF Web 216 will give you a GIF image with 216 colors. GIF Web Snap 256 will give you an image with 256 colors, and it will snap those colors to Web safe colors if possible. Web Snap 128 gives you 128 colors. Adaptive 256 will choose the very best 256 colors to make that image look it's best, and then you've got your two JPG settings: better quality or smaller file. Notice that I also have a section in the Optimize and Align panel here for palette information. I'm not showing any palette information for this JPG, but if I choose a GIF image, notice that this image has these six colors, and they're represented here in the palette area: All, Black, White, or Gray. Here's an image with more colors: all blues and grays. Now, I can adjust the color information here by choosing a different setting from the drop-down here in the Optimize file drop-down menu there, so there's GIF, Web Snap 256, Adaptive 256, and then I can change the number of colors here, and if I want to rebuild the palette, I click on the Rebuild button, and there are my original colors back. Likewise with this logo image, I can reduce the number of colors to two. Notice that there are only six colors there, so I definitely don't want to make this a 256 color image, but there is a section there for working with palette information, and then what I often find happens is my palette gets messed up as I experiment so I need to rebuild it, using the Rebuild button. For example, notice that it gave me the Web 216 palette there. Here's the Macintosh palette, but if I want to rebuild it to show the colors actually present in that image, just click on the Rebuild button. So there you have a quick summary review of some of the more important techniques for optimizing your images in Fireworks CS3. That'll conclude this section of the tutorial. In this section you've learned how to optimize images using the Export Wizard, how to optimize images in the workspace using the Two-up and Four-up views and the Optimize panel. You also learned how to use the optimized pre-sets as well as how to create your own custom presets. You've learned some specifics about optimizing GIFs, PNGs, TIFs, and BMPs, as well as JPGs, and then we had a nice summary review of optimizing in Fireworks. Let me now move on to the next section of this tutorial; another very important section, on Exporting Files out of Fireworks.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.