Let me now focus on how to make slice objects interactive. Slices are the basic building blocks for creating interactivity in Fireworks, and so they're very important. Fireworks offers two ways to make slices interactive. The first is a drag and drop rollover method, and the way that works is you select the slice with the Selection tool, the black arrow tool, [`00:00:20] and then there's a little slice handle right there, and you click on that and drag it, and where you drag it will make [`00:00:26] that slice change to whatever frame you choose. In this case I can choose Frame 1 or Frame 2, so this is going to create a simple rollover. What I'll do is create an object in Frame 2. Let's go ahead and do that. Let's go ahead and hide my slices and go to my layers frames panels here, and in the Frames panel choose Duplicate Frame. That creates a duplicate frame after the current frame. Now let's go ahead and change the color of the button in that frame. So there's Frame 1 and there's Frame 2. Now I've already added the simple rollover, so that this slice that I added earlier will change to whatever is in Frame 2, which is the current view. Let's change that back to Frame 1. Turn off my slices, go to the Preview mode, and when I roll over the button, notice that it changes to the purple color, which is the image in Frame 2. Another way to make your slices interactive is to use the Behaviors panel. Let me go back and turn on the slices again, go back to Original view, and let's take the Slices tool here, the Rectangle, and draw out another slice below the first one. And with the Selection tool, let's make sure that slice is selected, and then from the Behaviors panel I can create more complex interactivity, including the simple rollover which will again swap out Frame 1 with Frame 2, or I can do a Swap image, and a Swap image Restore, and use the Behaviors panel here to set up a Nav bar image, pop-up menus, and a status bar. I'll be covering each of these behaviors in more detail a little bit later. Now you can also attach multiple behaviors to a single slice creating interesting effects. You can also select from a variety of mouse events that trigger these interactive behaviors. Now notice that for this slice, I added the behavior using the drag and drop rollover method, but I have here in the Behaviors panel, a listing of that interactivity that I added. Notice that it's divided into two parts, events and actions. There's the Actions swap image, but the event can be changed from a mouse over to a mouse outer on click or on load, which also allows you to create some interesting effects. I should also point out that behaviors in Fireworks are fully compatible with Dreamweaver behaviors. In fact, if you export this to an HTML file and graphic images, and then open up that HTML file in Dreamweaver, select that graphic, and then open up Dreamweaver's behaviors panel, you'll see this same events and actions information here where you can change it in Dreamweaver. So to summarize, when you export a Fireworks roll over to Dreamweaver, you can edit the Fireworks behaviors using the Dreamweaver behaviors panel. Let me talk a little bit more about the drag and drop roll over method. Let's start off by adding another slice, this time to the third button there. Now, specifically, this drag and drop rollover method allows you to determine what happens to a slice when the pointer passes over it, and again, when you select the slice you get a little icon right there, which is called a Behavior handle. Now if I add another slice to my canvas, let's add a slice to the fourth button, and now take that Behavior panel and drag it over onto the third slice, I can Swap Image there in Frame 2, click OK. So what's going to happen here is when I roll over this slice, that slice will change to Frame 2. So, let's go ahead and turn off my Web layer, let's go ahead and add a different graphic in Frame 2 for that button, changing it to this same purple color, like so, and now when I preview, and I roll over this slice here, notice that this third button is actually changing. So using that drag and drop [`00:04:41] rollover, I can swap out any slice that I have on my current canvas. It doesn't necessarily have to be the slice that you're rolling over. If you check the Fireworks documentation, it refers to the slice where you're adding the behavior the "triggering slice," and the one that you drop the handle onto is the "target slice," so using the triggering slice and the target slices you can easily create roll over and swap image effects. If you change the location of the trigger and target, that's called a "disjointed rollover." If the trigger and target slices are the same, this is referred to as a "simple rollover." I should probably point out at this stage also that hot spots also have behavior handles for incorporating rollover effects. So let's go ahead and delete this second slice and instead, let's add a hot spot on top of it, and notice that there is the behavior handle. And like I did for the slice, I can drag this behavior handle onto another slice, or the same hot spot, right here, to create a simple rollover or a disjointed rollover. So this drag and drop rollover method is a quite fast and efficient way to create rollovers and swap image effects, and add interactivity to your slices. But most of your effort will probably be in using Behaviors, so let me move on to the next several movies and review the various behaviors that are available here to add to your Fireworks CS3 slices.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.