After you've inserted several hot spots on top of a desired graphic, as I've done here on this Brazil On-line graphic that goes on my home page, notice I have a series of circular hot spots, notice also, that each of them is linked to an HTML file by typing in the URL here in the link text field in the Properties Inspector. Now, once you add all your hot spots you'll need to export the graphic as an image map so it will function in a Web browser. Exporting an image map generates the graphics and the HTML containing map information for hot spots and the corresponding URL links that I've added down here in the link field. I should point out that Fireworks produces only client-side image maps when exporting. As an alternative to exporting, you can also copy your image map to the clipboard and then paste it into your favorite HTML editor, like Dreamweaver, or Front Page. To export an image map or copy to the clipboard, first you'll want to optimize the graphic to prepare it for export so it will look as good as possible, but also be small and compact. I'll be covering this optimization process in much more detail later. Once your images are optimized, choose from the Main menu, File, Export. That'll bring up the all-important export dialog. Now if you're exporting your file as an image as opposed to copying it to the clipboard, it's very important that you navigate to the folder where you want to place the HTML file and then also, give a good name to the file. I don't like to use capitals in my names, because I forget them, so I'm going to change that to b-o-l in lower case. Browse to the location of your file structure, or folder, for your Web site. You can also save the graphics in an appropriate folder from the site here. Notice that what I like to do is I like to create an Images folder and save all my images in there. Let's go ahead and do that here on my Pages folder. Let's call this "images" with a lower-case I. Let me go back up, and this first file name here is where the HTML file will go, so it's very important that you put this in the right location so that the links to all those other HTML pages will work. Let's call this "map dot HTM." Here in the export category is where you choose whether you want to export HTML and Images, or Images Only, or Dreamweaver Library, or CSS Layers, or Director, or Layers to Files. In this case, you'll want to choose HTML and Images, because remember the image map information will be contained in the HTML file. The graphic information will be contained in the Images. Here in the HTML category is where you'd choose whether you want to export an HTML file or copy to the clipboard. The Copy to Clipboard option copies all the required HTML including a table, if the document is sliced, to the clipboard so that you can later paste it into Dreamweaver, or another HTML editor. The other option, Export to HTML File, generates the required HTML file and corresponding graphics files, which you can later import into Dreamweaver, or another HTML editor as well. You can also open the file in Dreamweaver and edit it or add to it from there. In the Slices option, you'll probably want to export all your slices. The other options are None, and then Fireworks warns you, slice objects will be ignored. To get sliced output and behaviors, choose Export, Slices. And that's almost always what I choose here, but you can also slice along guides. Next you have your option for including areas without slices, in this case I have some areas that are not sliced up that I definitely want to include in my file all the areas outside of these light green rectangles. I can also choose to put images in a subfolder. I almost always do this. That's why I created this images subfolder there. Notice that it, by default, places it in an images subfolder. If you don't choose this option, Fireworks will generate quite a number of graphics files and then it really gets in the way of the single map HTML file that I've created up here, and it makes it harder to work with your HTML files. So I like to be more neat and tidy and put all my images in a subfolder called images. Also you want to probably choose the Current Page Only, if you're working with multiple pages. Now, once you've decided on all your options, I usually require my students to double-check several things. One, again, the location of where this file is going, and two, the file name and file type. So once you double-check that everything is okay, click Save to close the Export dialog box. What will happen is that Fireworks will then go ahead and export the HTML file, generate that code, and also slice up your graphic into multiple images and place those in your images subfolder if you've chosen that option. Now, when you're exporting files, Fireworks can use HTML comments to clearly label the beginning and end of code for image maps and other Web features created in Fireworks. By default, HTML comments are not included in the code. To include them, you'll want to select the Include HTML Comments, on the General tab of the HTML setup dialog box. You'll find that in the Export dialog box, right here. Adjacent to HTML there's an Options button. Click on that. Notice that you have a variety of tabs there. In the General tab, make sure you put a checkmark next to Include HTML Comments, but also choose to have lower case file names, which is a very good idea. Use CSS for pop-up menus, which I'll cover later, and Write CSS to an external file, if you choose. So there you have a pretty straightforward procedure for using hot spots to create image maps in Fireworks. Let me now move on to the next movie and demonstrate how to create rollovers with hot spots.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.