Continuing my discussion and demonstrations from the previous movie on ways to integrate your Fireworks and Dreamweaver work, Fireworks recognizes and preserves most types of edits made to a document in Dreamweaver including Change to Links, Edited Image Maps, Edited Text, and also HTML and HTML Slices. Behaviors can also be shared pretty transparently between Fireworks and Dreamweaver. For example, in this document here, I created some Swap Image Behaviors on these menu items up here in Fireworks. If I open up the Behaviors panel in Dreamweaver and then click on those former slices that are now table elements, notice that I have the swap image and the swap image restore behavior right here in Dreamweaver where I can modify those behaviors. You can use the Properties Inspector in Dreamweaver to identify Fireworks generated images, table slices, and tables in a document. Do that by selecting the object and then notice here in the Properties Inspector, there's a little Fireworks icon right there. Although Fireworks supports most types of Dreamweaver edits, radical changes made to a table's structure in Dreamweaver can create problems between the two applications. We ran into that In the previous movie, here for page 4. I'd made some modifications to this table and then when I selected this image placeholder and clicked on the Create button I got a warning last time that the table had been modified. I didn't get the error this time. Let's go ahead and try something different. Let's try taking this, I'm going to move this layer out of the way, but if I try changing this table a little bit, and now let's click on the Fireworks button down there. There we go. There's the error. The structure of the HTML table that you are editing does not match the table structure in the original Fireworks source PNG, so you need to be careful about making drastic changes in Dreamweaver. I try to finish up my Fireworks work, get it pretty much finalized before moving it over to Dreamweaver for that very reason. There are a variety of ways for placing Fireworks graphics into a Dreamweaver document. You can place a finished Fireworks graphic using the Files panel in Dreamweaver, or the Insert menu in Dreamweaver, or you can even create a new Fireworks document from a Dreamweaver image placeholder; I demonstrated that in the previous movie. In this case, let me go ahead and delete that placeholder there, and I've created a layer, and then I just chose from the Main menu, Insert, Image Objects, Image Placeholder. That'll place a placeholder there and then later on you can change that or exchange that placeholder with an actual Fireworks graphic. You can insert any graphic file format supported by Fireworks and Dreamweaver directly into a Dreamweaver document using either, again, the Files panel, or the Insert menu, however, you must first export the images from Fireworks. Let me go ahead and demonstrate these techniques. First, let me demonstrate how to insert a Fireworks image into a Dreamweaver document using the Files panel. Here I've opened up the Files panel in Dreamweaver by choosing Window, Files. Here I have a list of all of the files in this site root. If you're not quite sure what a site root is, do some research in Dreamweaver, the Help area, on what a site root is. And I have an image here, I'm going to drag and drop it onto my canvas, or document right there in Dreamweaver. click OK. And notice that the image has been placed right into Dreamweaver. Let's go ahead and delete that. Another method is to insert a Fireworks image into Dreamweaver using the Insert menu. You'll want to place the insertion point where you want the image to appear in the Dreamweaver document window and then select Insert, Image from the Main menu, browse to the location of your images. Here in my sample files folder I have a photos folder. Let's go ahead and choose that first folder. click OK, and there's my image. Previously I demonstrated how to make modifications to Fireworks documents in Dreamweaver. You can also make modifications to Dreamweaver documents here in Fireworks, namely, you can update Fireworks HTML that you've already exported into Dreamweaver. The File, Update HTML command allows you to make changes to an HTML document that you've previously exported to Dreamweaver. Go ahead and locate the HTML file that you've created in Fireworks and then modified in Dreamweaver. I have one here called BOL menu. Click open, and you'll get these two options: you can replace images and associated HTML, or you can update the images only. Oftentimes I'll change an image slightly here in Fireworks after I've previously exported it and worked on it in Dreamweaver, so rather than replacing all the HTML, I just want to update those images. Now, while this update HTML is useful for updating HTML you've previously exported to Dreamweaver, the round trip HTML that I demonstrated previously over in Dreamweaver, provides probably more power and more benefits than this method, but this is sometimes useful because with this update HTML command you can edit a source PNG image file in Fireworks and then automatically update any exported HTML code and image files that have been placed in a Dreamweaver document. What's kind of nice about this command is it lets you update Dreamweaver files even when Dreamweaver is not running. One potential snag with this technique is, make sure to choose Dreamweaver as the HTML type in that HTML setup dialog box that I demonstrated earlier. As a reminder, find that under the File, Export, and then click on the Options button right here for such an important dialog as this HTML setup. It's kind of hidden, so again, for HTML style, make sure that says Dreamweaver HTML. Let me move on now to another movie and demonstrate some techniques for integrating Fireworks graphics in Flash and Photoshop.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.