Fireworks is a great tool for quickly and easily creating moving graphics and slideshows for use as banner ads, animated logos, cartoons and much, much more. Slideshows can be created using a built-in command that generates Flash or HTML SPRY-based slideshows by simply selecting a folder with images and then adding your slideshow options. That's what I've done here in this example. This is a Flash-based slideshow, but you can also create HTML-based slideshows. One way to create animations in Fireworks is by creating symbols and changing their properties over time to produce the illusion of motion. The action of each symbol is stored in a frame, and then when you play all of the frames together in a sequence you get the illusion of an animation. So, in this section of the tutorial, I cover both how to create animations and slideshows, but let me start with a demonstration of the slideshow feature, and then later I'll cover animations with symbols. Now you can use this Slideshow command to carry out a variety of tasks. You can export full-sized and thumbnail images at the same time. You can automatically generate an XML file with multiple albums, or export an XML file without a slideshow by specifying a directory of images. You can also export full-sized and thumbnail images without creating a slideshow, or edit an existing slideshow's properties and then add multiple albums to a single slideshow. You can add additional images to an existing album. View and rotate images in the Create Slideshow Preview window. Sort images within an album, remove unwanted images, and or albums. Apply image intervals, these are how long the image stays on the screen. You can do this in either seconds, for a specific album, or for all albums. You can apply Slide Transitions. Notice that the transition here is a simple fade-in and fade-out to all of your albums. You can also export the slideshow to a specific folder, or use a default Fireworks Album Player for your slideshow, or find more players on the Fireworks Adobe Exchange site. Now, to create slideshow output is built so that any Flash designer or developer can build a Fireworks Album Player in Flash that uses this generated XML output, so if you know Flash, you can create sophisticated custom playback players and other options that go along with the slideshow. Let me go ahead and close my browser window, and demonstrate in more detail how to build and edit the slideshow. The Create Slideshow Command allows you to create a Flash-based or non-Flash slideshow by selecting a folder with images, and then adding slideshow options. So, let me go ahead and do that. First, let's choose from the Main menu, Commands, Create Slideshow, that brings up the Create Slideshow dialog. Now when you're first starting, you won't have any albums. Notice there's an Album Section, an Images Section, and then a Settings or Properties Section over here to the right. So let's go ahead and click on the plus button right there, Add an Album, and let's go ahead and create an album, not of current open files, these will be files that are open in Fireworks, but I think more conveniently, you can choose a Custom Option, and that'll allow you to select your photos. I've already pointed my computer to a folder called "photos" with all of my images. Select them all and click on Done, and then click OK to close the files to process dialog, and then you'll see the name of your folder right here, Folder Name and Title. If you click on that, you'll see a list of your images, as well as a preview over here in the lower right-hand corner. Notice that you can re-arrange the order of these images by clicking on the Move Selected Images Up or Down buttons. Let's go ahead and move 292 all the way up to the top. You can also delete selected images by clicking on the Remove or Delete Selected Images button. You can add a title and a description to your album book. Let's go ahead and click on the Export Options, and very quickly export a sample to make sure that everything is set up okay. Make sure you choose Export Images, and Generate XML. Go ahead and choose the Temp Folder, and make sure that says Temp, and then click on the Select Temp button there, or the name of the folder where you want to export your slideshow. My width and height are 320 by 240, the default. I'm going to export thumbnails of 80 pixels high and wide. Image quality will be 80 in the JPG quality setting, and I'm going to Enlarge Images to Fit. That should work okay. Now, let's go ahead and click on the Create button, once you've set up all your options and have your images all lined up. Now I've already created another slideshow called Photos, so I'm going to overwrite that one, and Fireworks goes a head and processes the XML, the HTML, and all of the Image files that it will need to create the slideshow. It also generates a Shockwave file. In this case I used the default player, which was a Shockwave Flash player. Let's go ahead and Launch the slideshow in my browser, so I can just check to make sure that everything's working okay. Internet Explorer warns me that I have blocked content. Let's go ahead and clear those warnings, and there is my slideshow, my album book, Sample Album, and there's my Photos Album description, so I can go ahead and change all of these settings back here in my Create Slideshow dialog, I can also pause and play the slideshow. Let me now move on to the next movie and go over in more detail, the various settings you have over here to the right, including Album Properties, Album Book Properties, Captions, Filters, Slideshow Properties, and Export Options.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.