Fireworks CS3 has assembled the most commonly used tools for editing photographs all in one place, the Image Editing Panel. Access this panel from the main menu under Window, Others, this is another one of those very hidden, but very useful panels. And then, underneath the Others area, choose Image Editing. Here you have tools for removing red-eye, cropping an image: simply draw out a marquee and then double-click inside that marquee to crop the image. Rotating the image, as well as Scaling the image, both. Next is a tool for blurring parts of an image. Let's go ahead and blur this bubble section of the Champaign there. Actually I guess that's the Champaign container that's cooling the Champaign. Next you have a tool for sharpening areas of the image. Let's go ahead and sharpen up the areas that I blur. I don't see much difference there. That'll sharpen up any blurriness. Then the next two tools are the Dodge and Burn tools. These are equivalent to photographic tools for lightening, in the case of the Dodge tool, the Burn tool is for darkening areas of the photograph. Notice that you also have a collection of tools underneath those main photo editing tools. Under the Transform tools area, here you can Scale, this is different than the Rotate and Scale up here in that you can only scale and move the image. Skew, which is also rotates, and if I move my cursor to the edge, I can skew it. Distort, a little bit unique tool there for distorting my bitmap image. Free rotate allows you to rotate in any angle there. So notice that you've got a collection up at the top here the most commonly used photo editing tools, but then you've got additional commands. Down below Transform tools is Transform commands including Numeric Transform, Rotate 180 degrees, 90 degrees counterclockwise, or clockwise, Flip horizontal, as well as Flip vertical. Let's bring this back by clicking vertical again. I've also got an assortment of tools under the Adjust Colors heading, including Auto Level, which is probably one of my favorite tools here in the Fireworks, also Photoshop, as this tool is one of my favorites, and I find that for almost all photographs they benefit from doing the Adjust Levels command. Let me show you. There is with the adjust levels command. Let me undo that. And there's without it. There - oops. Let's undo that and let's add the Adjust Colors Auto Levels again, and notice the difference. I think it looks better. Underneath that you have Brightness, Contrast settings. Usually, especially if I'm going on to the Web with my photographs, I find that adding some contrast and brightness also improves the general appearance of the photo. Then you've got curves, which is a little bit difficult to explain in the short time I have in this movie, but essentially, is an auto levels adjustment that allows you to do things by hand. Notice that there is also an Auto Curves that'll do it automatically for you, but essentially you're adjusting the number of bright dark pixels, input and output. If you want more information about this pretty powerful tool, check out the Adobe Fireworks CS3 documentation. Next, underneath that, you've got Levels. Again, there's your Auto Levels Adjustment, here you are also adjusting, using a slightly different interface, the number of light and dark pixels, as well as some eyedropper tools that allow you to really fine-tune this adjustment. Again, for more information see the Adobe Fireworks CS3 documentation for details. These are professional level auto editing tools here. Then you've got Convert to Gray Scale, to change your image into black and white, let's undo that, and then finally you've got Convert to Sepia tone. Let's undo that. And the last section is Filters, in terms of the ways to change your image. Here you have Blur, Blur More, Sharpen, Sharpen More, Unsharp Mask, add Noise; kind of interesting, Find edges and Convert to Alpha. Let's undo those two, and then underneath all of the tools are your View Options, your view option settings include such things as showing or hiding the rulers. Notice that my rulers are gone. Showing or hiding a grid, there's a grid on the canvas. Snap or don't snap objects to that grid. You can edit the grid, make the grid finer or more rough, show or hide guides, these guides allow you to align objects up on the canvas so you can show or hide those guides. And then you have Show, Don't Snap to the guides, so if I show my guides I can either have my picture snap to those guides or not, so not I'm not snapping to the guides. And then the last settings there are Locking or Unlocking the guides, and then the command here for opening up the Guides Modification panel, where you can modify your guides including showing them snapping to guides, lock guides, clearing the slice color, and the color of your guides. I'll get into slices a little bit later. Now the tools contained here in the Image Editing panel are the same tools that you'll find in other places in Fireworks, such as in the toolbox here, or in the Modify menu, such as transform. Notice here you have your Free Transform Scale, Skew, Distort, and then the Rotate numbers. The Image Editing panel, which you can open, again, by selecting Window, Others, Image editing, presents, again, the most commonly used tools, all in one panel for editing photos. Let me now move on to the next movie and demonstrate in more detail those tools that Fireworks provides for helping you retouch your photographic images.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.