In this movie, I review another of my very favorite Fireworks tools, and that is pop-up menus. Pop-up menus are displayed in a browser when the user moves a pointer over, or clicks a triggering Web object, such as a slice or a hot spot. I have an example of a Pop-up menu that I created in Fireworks CS3 here. I have a series of text elements. Over the first one I have a slice and I've added a Pop-up menu behavior to that slice and this is the pop-up menu that I've created. Notice that it's multi-leveled, so it has sub-menus off the main menu. I can also style this pop-up menu so that it matches the style of my labels over to the left. Each pop-up menu appears as an HTML, or image cell, which has an Up State, and Over State, and Text Both States. So, let me demonstrate how to create these. Let me close this browser and go back to my starting point here. I have a PNG file in Fireworks with a label, text label over it, and I've placed a slice over that first label and I've added a pop-up menu behavior. Let me demonstrate this by selecting a slice and then double-clicking on that behavior in the Behaviors panel. That'll bring up the Pop-up Menu Editor, so the majority of this movie and the next one will be me reviewing all of your options here in these four tabs: Content, Appearance, Advanced, and Position. We'll use these tabs to modify the various attributes and properties of your pop-up menu. What I like best about this pop-up menu behavior is this editor that makes it very straightforward and easy to add these pop-up menus to your Fireworks projects. The first tab, the Content tab, has options for determining the basic menu structure, as well as the text, URL link, and target for each menu item. Here in this completed, or almost completed, pop-up menu, I have a variety of text labels: fruit, vegetables, grain, and then I have sub-titles in here that I've created by indenting those letters. I've also, here, added links to two of my text titles, but I can go ahead and add additional links here. For example, this might be apples dot htm. I also have a target column for setting a target, such as opening this page in a blank new browser, replacing the existing page with this new page, setting this in a parent frame set, or at the top of the frame set. Now, the Appearance tab is next. This contains options that determine the appearance of each menu's cell: Up state, Over state, as well as the menu's vertical and horizontal orientation. And what I like about this is it shows you a preview window down here so that you can see immediately how the change you make will affect the appearance of your button. That looks pretty bad. I think sticking with the green was better, like so. Notice that I have color options for the text and the cell for both the Up state and the Over state. This is divided into two categories. Notice that I can do HTML-based cells, or Image-based cells. The image-based cells use these image styles that you have available here in the drop-down, both for the Up state and the Over state. You can change these as needed. You also have a font drop-down, where you can choose the font style, Currier New, Currier, or Mono, Gothic, Osaka, or san serif, and notice that these are duplicated or represented down her ein the preview window. The reason that there are three or four options is that the browser will need to look through these fonts on the user's computer. If they don't have Times New Roman, it'll look for Times. If it doesn't have either of those two, it'll use serif, and likewise for Verdana. If it finds Verdana, it uses that, if not, it goes for Arial, then Helvetica. If it can't find either of those three, the default will be san serif. Now I recommend after setting up your content and appearance, click on the Done button, and then go ahead and preview your work by choosing from the Main menu, File, Preview in Browser, and then preview in your default browser here, and then go ahead and check your appearance, and the content of your menus to make sure that everything is working. Let me now demonstrate how I set up this pop-up menu behavior by going back to my original canvas here and let's take my Supplies label and let's add a slice over that label, much as I did for my food. Now with that slice selected, let's go ahead and open the Behaviors panel. Click on the Add Behavior button, and choose Set Pop-up menu. And that'll bring up my familiar Pop-up Menu Editor, where I can go ahead and add my supplies here. So, this could be prune, and this could be raisins, and so on. Bucket, that could be, notice that I can go back at any time and change this. Let's change that from prunes to pruners and bucket, and let's go ladder here, since these are supplies. Under ladder, I could have a wooden ladder or I could have a metal ladder. Now, the way that you add your sub-menus is underneath Ladder there, and that's misspelled, put some d's in there. Notice that I can go back at any time and changes these, but to make my sub-menus, I would select my wooden ladder there, my wooden label, and then click on the indent button right there, to indent that one space. And likewise with my metal option. So in that way you can create sub-menus and create a hierarchical pop-up menu. And that's really the advantage of this, is that if you take something like my food menu and if I double-click on that and you can see that I have indented under apples Fuji, under orange Valencia and Naval, under lettuce, Iceberg and Romaine, and the lettuce is indented under vegetables. So, you can very quickly go in and modify your menus by changing the text labels or changing the links, and then reexport this menu to update your Website. Going back to my supplies pop-up menu, let's double-click on that. Let me now move on to the next movie and review the next two tabs, the Advanced tab and the Position tab.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.