In this movie I review the all important process of setting up a site in Dreamweaver CS4. Before you set up a site or a testing server you first must define a local and a remote folder. The local folder will just be a folder here on your local hard drive, I usually choose a folder right off my C drive, something not too deep, perhaps the name of the website or the name of the project, right here near the root folder for my C drive here. Once you've determined that will be your site root or your local site root, go to the Site Menu up here at the top of the interface and you want to do either New Site or Manage Sites, New Site will create a brand new Dreamweaver site, Manage Site will allow you to edit a site, duplicate a site, remove a site, or import or export a site setting, let's start with New Site and that brings up this very important dialogue, the site definition dialogue where you can define the various information for you site, the first thing you want to do is provide a site name. So let's call this Test 2, this is going to be the name that you're going to see in the whole list of perhaps all of your other Dreamweaver sites, so be creative, you can include spaces and capitals but I definitely encourage you not to use spaces and capital letters in other types of names that you're working with in Dreamweaver. Here is the all important local root folder designation right here, if you're going to make a mistake this is probably where you'll start with problems is that you want to definitely browse to the location of the folder that you've designated on your local computer as your local site root so I'm going to go to my computer here and let's go to my C drive and then probably I want to choose one of these folders right here, let's do Casa Boa Vida 2 for example and I'm going to click on Open and then Select so there is my local root folder. The key here is that I'm going to want to save all of my site assets to this folder on my C drive, that would include HTML files, graphic files, video files, CSS or cascading style sheet files and so on. Next, set links relative to document, this is a potentially major problem if you get confused here, you don't want to switch back and forth between document relative links and site root relative links, generally, if you're going to be moving your project from computer to computer or working on a variety of computers I would definitely recommend document relative linking, I'd suggest document relative linking for my students because often times they work in the lab, they work at home, they work in the office, and so on. The HTPP address would be the domain name probably that you're going to be setting up with a host, so in this case, in my case it would be www.geekmanuals.com make sure you spell that correct, that's not actually critical that you fill that out, case sensitive links, I would definitely recommend that you use case sensitive link checking. Later on we'll talk about how to use Dreamweaver's file manager to check links because most hosts are Unix based and they are case sensitive, you will run into problems if you are not careful with case sensitive, in general I recommend that you just use lower case all the time. You definitely want to enable the cache, the cache maintains the file and asset information in the site, this speeds up the asset panel and link management features, more on the cache later but definitely make sure that that is enabled. Next you want to go to the remote info category and you probably, depending on how you want to access your remote side, you probably want to do FTP although other options are local network, webDAV, RDS, or Microsoft Visual Source Safe. Usually I set up an FTP account with my students and then what you'll want to do is make sure that you get from your host the FTP host information this is also referred to as the FTP address, the login, and the password information, you can usually leave the host directory blank. Once you've tested your FTP host, login and password information you want to save it. You may find that using passive FTP will give you better results. You may also need to use the IP Version 6 transfer mode, you want to check that with your host, if you're behind a firewall you can set your firewall settings, but generally I leave everything here to the default. By default you want to maintain synchronization information but do not automatically upload files to server on saved, this is a good way to cause problems and if you're not careful that you've really got a valid or a good document and if you have problems in that document and then you do automatically upload files to server on save and there are problems with the file then you'll erase the good file on your remote side, on your server side. Also, enable file check in and check out is disabled, this is only useful if you're working in teams of developers or Dreamweaver users, if you do choose to enable file check in and check out, you want to make sure to check out files when opening and then you have a check out name and then an email address, basically what this means is that if you check something out and and someone requests that, they need to know where your email is so they can ask you when you'll be done with the file because they can't work on it while you still have it checked out. Let me go ahead and cancel out of here and show you by using site, Manage Sites where you can edit your sites, let me show you what this remote side will look like, what remote info will look like when you have an actual working host, here, is my FTP host will address my username, my password, and I'm using passive FTP notice if I click on Test, you'll get this message, “Dreamweaver connected to your web server successfully.” If you for example have outdated information or incorrect information you'll get different kinds of errors, for example here's another client site and it's giving me “FTP connection error occurred, cannot make connection to host, your login or password is incorrect.” So in this case my FTP host is correct but my password is not correct. Let's go ahead and change the FTP host and now test it and I'll get a different error, it's trying to connect and it cannot, it says “An FTP error occurred, cannot make connection to the host, no response from the server.” So those are the two kinds of errors that you'll get, this one by far is the most common is that my students or myself, I don't have the correct FTP host information and again, you'll need to get that from your host provider, often times it's a little bit confusing because they tend to give you your URL address which is different, your URL address is what you'll type in the browser to view the site, this address is the one you need to upload your local files to the remote side of the Dreamweaver files manager. Now in addition to having troubles getting the correct FTP host, login, and password information from their host providers, my students also have some trouble understanding the difference between the local and the remote folder structures here and what they mean so let me now move on to the next movie and go over in more detail the differences between Dreamweaver, identifies the local and remote folders so you can understand them better.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.