Once you have all of your text cast members prepared and organized in the cast window by either importing text files from external sources or entering text into the text boxes by typing or perhaps copying and pasting is another way to do it; copy and pasting from a text editor into a text cast member here in Director. Probably ready to edit and format the text. Director offers several ways to accomplish this. You can edit text directly on the Stage and format it with the Text Inspector. Notice if I double click on my text Sprite here, I have a Sprite tab that allows me to set color, inks and so on. I also have a Text tab here that gives me some additional options for formatting my text. If you want to work in a more traditional text editing environment, you can also edit the text in the Text Window, select the text Sprite and then choose from the main menu, window, text and that'll bring up this Text Window editor in which you can work more like in a traditional word processor. You'll notice that many of the settings in either the Text Window or the Property Inspector here or the text Inspector are the same. For basic text editing, it's probably fastest to edit text directly on the Stage using the Text Inspector. After you create the text cast members for your movie, you can set the font, style, size, line spacing and color. Let me go through the Font dialog box, but many of the same options are available in the Text Inspector over here. First to use the Font dialog box, double click a text Sprite or cast member here on the Stage. Select it. Then choose Modify, font. This opens up the Font dialog box where you can set your font, style, create superscripts, subscripts, strikeouts, set the size, spacing here, as well as kerning. Kerning is the spacing between letters. Notice that there's a nice preview down on the bottom that shows you your settings including your typeface, your size, the spacing as well as your kerning. Notice that the spacing is the spacing between lines of text. I also refer to as letting. Let me now talk a little bit about formatting paragraphs. You can specify the alignment, indentation, tabs and spacing for each paragraph in a text cast member. I'm going to review the procedure for formatting text in the Text Window, but many of the same formatting options are available in the Text Inspector and also the paragraph dialog box. The paragraph dialog box can be found by choosing, first selecting the text Sprite and then choosing Modify, paragraph right there. You need to actually double click on the Sprite, then choose modify paragraph. That'll open up the paragraph dialog where you can set the alignment, margins, spacing, indentations and so on. I think it might be a little bit easier, however, to use the Text Window. So you'll want to double click the text Sprite in the Score or on the Stage. You can also double click the text cast member in the Cast Window. This'll open up the Text Window or you can choose window, text with that Sprite selected. If the ruler up here is not visible, choose from the main menu view, rulers. That'll toggle the rulers on and off. So notice that you have some formatting options here, including margins, indent, select the paragraph you want to modify and notice that there's my indent. You can also set up essentially page widths here with these icons. This is very similar to Word, Microsoft Word if you've ever used Word to set the paragraph widths and indent. You can also set tab stops by clicking here or by pressing the tab button on your keyboard like so. I'm pressing the Tab key. These work very similar to a word processor if you're familiar with word processors. You can set line spacing and also change the setting within the line spacing control. Let me go ahead and add some lines here. To see that, select the paragraph and then the line spacing tool is here. If you change this line spacing setting, Director stops making automatic adjustments. To resume automatic adjustments of spacing, enter zero here in the line spacing tool like so and then Director brings that back to default. You can also set paragraph alignment here. To set alignments, click on one of the alignment buttons, align center, right justify, full justify or left justify. To change the kerning of selected characters, change the value in the kerning option. And that's a little bit hidden right over here. Let's open up my window. This is increasing the space between the selected letters. Now Director can also quickly apply formatting changes to entire cast members. This process is quite a bit faster than manually opening each cast member and applying changes. Any change that you apply to a cast member effects all the text within the cast member. To do this in the Cast Window or on the Stage, select all of the cast members you want to change. Let's do this in my Cast Window. And let's say I have these six cast members. Let's SHIFT+CLICK the first and last in that sequence, select all of them and then you'll use the Text Inspector by choosing Modify, font and let's go ahead and change all those fonts to symbol, for example. Click OK and notice that all of the text cast members now have the symbol font. So there you have a quick review of several methods and tools here in Director for modifying and formatting cast members or Sprites, including setting line spacing control, tab stops, formatting fonts and styles and color, as well as kerning and paragraph alignments. Now, before actually creating text cast members, it's good practice to embed the fonts you want to use in your movie. So let me now move on to the next movie here and give you an introduction to how to embed fonts in your Director movies.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.